Monday, March 10, 2014

From Barbie Dolls to Pick Up Trucks

It's an unspoken truth that most girls strive to attain what society defines as beautiful.  We have almost been gendered since birth to act a certain way, behave a certain way, dress a certain way, look a certain way, BE a certain way.  As girls, the majority of us have been taught simple things like liking the color pink (because pink is the color for girls and blue is the color for boys), playing with dolls (enabling the socialization process to begin by showing girls what roles women will play in society by donning Barbie with certain professions, like Teacher Barbie and, to a lesser extent, Mermaid Barbie), playing house (to start ingraining the idyllic maternal/wife instinct... in most cases, when girls play house, myself included, we're given a set of plastic dishware and a baby doll which further reinforces the idea of being pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen making your husband a sandwich), and, most importantly and probably most damning, in the way we handle negative emotions.  During group therapy sessions we regularly discuss these differences between the genderization of men versus women.  In my opinion, from what I have experienced from growing up and working with a male population, men are taught not to express sadness, anxiety, or pain.  They are instead taught to express any kind of negative emotion as anger, even when they are not angry.  On the other hand, women are taught to handle any kind of negative emotion like anger, sadness, anxiety, etc. as sadness, usually accompanied by tears.  I myself most certainly fall into this category.  Whenever I experience any kind of frustration, whether it be from the guy I like rejecting me, listening to constructive criticism at work, or having my ever-present anxiety rear its ugly head for no logical reason at all, I can feel myself precariously teetering between being cool, calm, and rational and full-blown hysterics.  Even though my current job has helped me overcome a few of these emotional roadblocks, it still doesn't change the fact that society plays a huge role in raising us as children, our (future) children, and our children's children.


I digress, before I begin to theorize and discuss my views of society and the genderization of our youth, I must remember the topic of this blog entry: beauty.  If you pick up this month's (April 2014) Cosmopolitan Magazine (a guilty pleasure I very much indulge in every month) you'll see Khloe Kardashian modeling on the cover amidst attention-grabbing taglines for articles within like: "Break the Bed Sex: 21 New Ideas to Blow Your Own Damn Mind!", "168 Ways to Kick More Ass! (at Work, in Love, at Play).", "Your Best Butt Ever.", and "Amazeballs! Hot Looks Under $50."  Even the cover teasers seem to tell women to conform to society's ideas of beauty and femininity while taking on male characteristics/roles like kicking more ass and mastering sex.  It's no wonder why some young girls struggle with their identity and where they need to be and shudder at the thought of having more male-like characteristics (physically and mentally).  Again, I am getting off topic.

In my opinion, Khloe is a beautiful woman.  She's curvy, tall, and, from the one time I really watched one of her shows, she seems to have a pretty legit sense of humor.  It even appears that she's lost a bit of weight from the last time I saw her image emblazoned on an advertisement for the Kardashian clothing line (available at Sears and Nordstrom if you were curious). Despite even her most recent weight loss, most people still consider her to be the heavier, less attractive Kardashian sister.  Bullshit. Just because she doesn't have that inner-thigh gap that is now apparently the craze with young girls who neglect to realize that it is not a healthy look unless you have wide set hips or come by it naturally (as for me, I will never, ever, with any amount of diet or exercise, have an inner thigh gap... THE STRUGGLE IS REAL! not really...I'd rather not look bowlegged... I mean it would be nice to toss my Spanx aside, but I like the fact that I look athletic and, as a result, that my thighs touch when I stand or walk). I think she's still drop-dead gorgeous, even with the extra.  Her look is definitely something that I will be striving for because I somewhat identify with her most out of the three Kardashian sisters- for body build/type and personality.
Starving Child in a Third World Country versus World-Wide Sex Symbol.
You decide which is beautiful.

The point is, we tend to internalize what we are told is beautiful instead of what we actually think is beautiful.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes they're one in the same, but, for me, it's honestly sometimes hard to separate what I find to be beautiful because it's beautiful and what I find to be beautiful because society has brainwashed me into believing that it is so.  At this point in my life I have finally come to the realization that, for me, it is less important to fit the characterizations of what society deems as beautiful, but instead make my own qualifications for myself.  To fit in to what society would call beautiful, I would need to be four inches taller, fifty pounds lighter, tan all year long, and have stick-straight hair.  Unless medical science has developed a procedure similar to the one in Gattaca (you know that movie that was filmed in 1997... that one you would watch in biology class because the teacher didn't really want to teach that day and since it had some weird semblance of DNA testing he gave it the go ahead for two days worth of lesson... anyway, there was a scene in which the main character Vincent (Ethan Hawke) got weird leg surgery to make him taller and used Jerome's (Jude Law) DNA so he could essentially become Jerome and fly a plane or go into space or something... point was, he was genetically inferior so wasn't allowed this particular job... do I note some master race-esque ideals? Weird...) I will not be taller.  To me, beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder.  What I think is beautiful may not be the same as the next guy.  For me, at the ripe age of 24, I believe that beauty lies in being healthy, confident, and happy.  I am confident; I am happy; I am currently working towards becoming healthy- mentally and physically.


So, in addition to society defining the parameters of what is beautiful, we are constantly being bombarded with new diets, exercises, and holistic health fads.  I am not going to lie, I have fallen victim to many a craze... everything from proven methods like Weight Watchers to questionable vitamins like Green Coffee Bean Extract.  Who doesn't want a quick fix for weight loss?  They say that weight loss is 70% diet and 30% exercise and I am happy to announce that I have been in the gym more often than not since September 2013 and altered my diet drastically; I am seeing results!  Regardless, I am ashamed to admit, that I am participating in two different health kicks: Garcinia Cambogia and Oil Pulling.

According to Dr. Oz (is he a legit doctor?), "Garcinia Cambogia is a small, pumpkin-shaped fruit, sometimes called tamarind...  It has long been used in traditional South Asian dishes...adding this ingredient to meals in considered to be effective in making meals more "filling."  In some villages in Malaysia, garcinia is used to make a soup that is eaten before meals for weight loss because of garcinia's appetite-blocking abilities. This plant offers one of the least expensive herbal supplements on the market.  The ingredient from the rind of the fruit could hasten your weight loss efforts.  The natural extract is called hydroxycitric acid (HCA), and researchers claim that HCA can double or triple one's weight loss.  With proper weight loss efforts (diet and exercising), the average person taking HCA lost an average of four pounds a month.  Garcinia may also be great for emotional eaters.  Those who participated in the study showed an increase in their serotonin levels; hence, it may also improve mood and sleeping patterns... HCA helps block fat and suppress appetite..." You can read the sciency stuff here.  All in all, you're supposed to take 500-1000 mg of the supplement with at least 50% HCA before each meal.  I also read somewhere that pairing Garcinia Cambogia with a colon cleansing product will help achieve maximum weight loss.  "The idea behind combining the products is that while the Garcinia Cambogia encourages weight loss and increases energy; the colon cleanse helps rid your body of toxins and allows your body to work and burn calories more efficiently." I am currently taking two supplements in this effort; I'll let my avid readers know how I feel about it about 15 days.  Right now I feel a little queasy, but that could be the colon cleanse talking...
Got the goods at Walgreens.

Oil pulling is probably the weirdest thing I have ever experienced.  Essentially you swish oil in your mouth for twenty minutes.  Thinking about it makes me nauseous (could be the cleanse) because of the texture and thickness of the oil.  According to Dr. Edward F. Group III, "Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic (What?) remedy for oral health and detoxification.  It involves the use of pure oils as agents for pulling harmful bacteria, fungus, and other organisms out of the mouth, teeth, gums, and even throat."  Typically sunflower, coconut, or sesame oil is used for pulling.  I use sunflower oil because when I went to Schnucks coconut oil was out of stock, which makes me think that everyone is trying the oil pull fad because last time I checked, coconut oil was not a kitchen must-have, but what do I know, I don't cook.   The oil puller uses a tablespoon of one of the obscure oils and swishes it around his or her mouth (similar to mouthwash) for twenty minutes.  Some people say that the twenty minutes fly by... I thought they dragged on... I can't tell you how many times my mouth muscles revolted and I dribbled oil down my chin... Now, here's where things get dirty (get your mind out of the gutter, folks, you've been warned): "First the oils mix with the saliva, turning it into a thin, white liquid.  Lipids in the oils begin to pull out toxins from the saliva.  As the oil is swished around the mouth, teeth, gums, and tongue, the oil continues to absorb toxins, and usually ends up turning thick and viscous and white. (Ahem.) Once the oil has reached this consistency, it is spit out before the toxins are reabsorbed."  Benefits of oil pulling include: cleansing out harmful bacteria; reducing fungal overgrowth; aiding in the proper functioning of the lymph nodes and other internal organs; strengthens the teeth, gums, and jaws; prevention of diseases of the gyms and mouth (like cavities and gingivitis); prevention of bad breath; potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums; prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth, and throat; possible holistic treatment of TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area; migraine headache relief; correcting hormone imbalances; reducing inflammation of arthritis; may help with gastro-enteritis; aids in the reduction or eczema; may reduce symptoms of bronchitis; helps support normal kidney function; may help reduce sinus congestion; some people report improved vision; helps reduce insomnia; reduces hangover after alcohol consumption; aids in reducing pain; reduces the symptoms of allergies; and, helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms.  I have been doing this for a day (watch out!) and I have noticed that my teeth seem oddly whiter... Again, I'll report back later.


Why is all this important? Because, from an animalistic standpoint, we're all just looking to get laid (rather, pass on our genes).  SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!  Ok, I can't speak for everyone, but I am just wanting to lead a healthier lifestyle- be healthy inside and out.  I'd be lying to say that all of this effort was so that I could be generally healthy... I want to look good too.

All my efforts must be working at least a little bit because as I was on my way to the gym today I got hit on and I was not looking my best. Picture it:  It's a balmy 70 degrees, the warmest day of the year, so far, and I am driving to the gym with my windows down, hair blowing, and Nicki Minaj blasting through my speakers.  Life's good.  I pull up to the line at a red light next to this red truck that smelled like it hadn't had its emissions tested for in three years (is that only a Chicago thing?).  There are two... gentlemen... wearing camo hats inside the death trap who looked like they could've been twelve, but I know that not to be true since they were clearly driving this truck.  Anyway, I am jamming out to my best friend Nicki and they honk their horn.  First, I am startled.  Who does that? Second, I look over and they're talking to me... from their truck... I first can't make out what they're saying over the roar of their busted carburetor and my pre-workout jam so I just smile, fake a laugh, and nod. At this point, I could've agreed to anything.  I look forward, praying the light will turn green.  No luck.  They continue to yell at me.  I look over again, turn down Ms. Minaj just in time to hear them say something about how they're tuck is "lifted."  I am sorry sir, your truck is in no way "lifted."  I drive a PT Cruiser and your truck is eye level with mine and I have low profile tires...   Come on.  Dumb.  Then they ask me if I want to go for a drive sometime.  I literally laugh and scream, "That doesn't sound safe!" just as the light turns green and I speed off like a badass.  Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you avoid getting killed and end up in some backwoods somewhere.  But really, I am sure they were nice people.
Killin' it... Eat your heart out "lifted" truck drivers...

No comments:

Post a Comment